A man accused of murder, rape and holding a woman captive in a crime spree which stretched from the east to west coasts of the USA used Tinder and other dating websites to find his alleged victims, police revealed.

A police search was launched for Danueal Drayton, 27, after 29-year-old nurse Samantha Stewart was found dead in her bedroom in Queens, New York, on July 17.

She had reportedly suffered trauma to her head and neck.

During the investigation, Drayton, of New Haven, Connecticut, was eventually linked to the rape of another woman that happened in the area weeks earlier.

29-year-old nurse Samantha Stewart was found dead in her bedroom in Queens, New York on July 17 
Police say they finally caught up with a man wanted in connection with the death of a nurse in Queens, discovering the suspect on the other side of the country with another woman held captive in a Los Angeles hotel room. 

He was then traced by police to the West coast and arrested this week in California over allegedly sexually assaulting and trying to kill another 28-year-old woman he was holding captive in a LA hotel room after a date, police said.

Authorities believe Drayton used Tinder to meet these women and other dating sites to meet other possible victims.

New York police chief Dermot Shea said the "common denominator" in the cases was "multiple dating websites" that Drayton used to "victimise" the women, reports CNN.

According to reports the Los Angeles County District Attorney said Drayton allegedly strangled and assaulted his third victim on July 22 and 23 after he refused to let her leave her apartment following a date.

Victim Samantha Stewart's aunt Ruby Dixon told WCBS : “A lot of sorrow is in my heart.

“My niece was the best you ever could find in a human being.”

Samantha's father Kenneth Stewart said: "I’m devastated by my loss of my daughter, but hearing this news now it really, really shocks me, throws me over the edge."

Drayton faces a maximum sentence of over 23 years to life in prison if he's found guilty and his bail is set at $1.25 million, according to reports.